Monday, June 27, 2011

MAKING NEW JEWELRY FROM OLD JEWELRY




A great weekend. I spent Sat. morning in the studio composing patterns with the new beads I purchased at the stone show. Lots of fun and a nice creative break! I will post some pictures tomorrow of the necklaces I made. A couple of Horse related necklaces and some very cool Southwestern Necklaces and Florida Keys type pieces.
Today I would like to talk about using your old jewelry to create new jewelry. It is a wonderful time to trade in your old gold for cash. If you intend to do this, make sure the items are not historic pieces worth considerable sums of money. Then, shop the items around. Different stores will offer different prices. When you have made a decision, have them carefully remove the stones and return them to you. You can use them in your new designs.
I do not use the old gold to cast new jewelry because the old solder and imperfections in the pieces can cause pitting in the new piece. It is just not worth the risk!
Somtimes you can use several smaller diamonds to give the illusion of a larger diamond.
A women had been given her boyfriends mothers ring. She commissioned me to make her a ring however she wanted a larger diamond. These are the before and after images. You are only limited by your imagination!